Welcome to Northwest College
Welcome to the excitement of HCC's Northwest College and the cutting edge work being done by an exceptional faculty and staff. We are all about teaching and learning and your success as a student.
Northwest is one of the six regional colleges that make up the Houston Community College District. Northwest primarily serves the Alief, Katy, and Spring Branch communities in addition to some areas within Houston ISD.
Northwest College is dedicated to bringing the highest quality education to the West Houston area through two-year academic degrees, workforce certifications, continuing education classes, adult education classes and high school dual credit courses. Certificates and degrees are available in such specialties as Audio Recording and Filmmaking, Certified Nurse Aid, Horticulture, and Entrepreneurship.
Who We Are
Essential Strategic Partner in the Community
Dr. Zachary Hodges, President, Houston Community College Northwest, believes it is both his responsibility and the responsibility of HCC to be an active advocate for community development by positioning college resources to have the greatest impact for the greater good. This is accomplished by encouraging all faculty, staff and administrators to be present and active in leadership roles within the community. HCC is home to servant leaders interested in building partnerships and working collaboratively with all partners.
Leader in Educational Excellence & Innovation
HCC is pioneering new technologies that are being integrated into the education experience for students. The college is committed to providing the highest quality higher education experience for our students based on 21st Century approaches to student success.
Dr. Hodges makes the following statement to faculty members during the Fall Convocation.
We will continue to raise the bar of quality and expectations of our students while providing new and proven learning options to help them meet that raised bar.
- The Adjunct Academy at HCC trains part-time faculty to become proficient teachers.
- Technology and Instructional Computing at HCC is centered on enhancing the human capital of Northwest College through the innovative use of technology.
- The Office of Academic Affairs and Student Services Department works effectively at placing students in the right classes, in the right seat, at the right time, ready to learn.
- Student life at HCC is rich and vibrant, celebrating the diverse student population and the plethora of interests.
- HCC helps students transition to the next step following their education with HCC.
- HCC has articulation agreements with many colleges and universities. Check with the Counseling Office for advisement.
- HCC also has a Joint Admissions Program with the University of Houston which presents many benefits for students.
- The Career Planning and Resources Office supports students with job placement, resume assistance, and additional services.
Catalyst for Economic Development
Dr. Hodges believes that Workforce Development = Economic Development = Community Development
- By offering education and training, HCC is a key economic development center for the community.
- Dr. Hodges has indicated that HCC creates opportunity for people and for the community by teaching new skills which helps one secure a better job. With this better job, a person spends more and pays more taxes, supporting the community and economy.
- The HCC/Newspring Business Plan Competition encourages entrepreneurs to plant and grow their business in the Spring Branch area. The 21st Century is about creativity and entrepreneurship. HCC, as a community college committed to serving its communities, is stepping out in new directions to create an environment where 21st century entrepreneurs can thrive, stated Dr. Zachary Hodges.
- The HCC Return On Investment (ROI) is quantifiable. View the Houston Community College 2010 Regional Economic Growth and Investment Analysis to see recent data on the college's ROI.
- Grant Initiatives