DEI Design Contest
Calling all creatives! April is National Diversity Month and to commemorate it, HCC is hosting the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Art & Design Contest.
No matter your skill level, we invite you to create a piece of art or design that represents what diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging, and/or social justice mean to you! So, grab your tools, let your imagination run wild, and enter now for a chance to win a scholarship and make a lasting impact with your art/design.
The top three entries will scholarship sponsored by HCC Foundation!
- First Prize: $1000 scholarship
- Second Prize: $500 scholarship
- Third Prize: $250 scholarship
The deadline to enter is April 16 and the steps to participate in the contest are below. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Steps to Submit Design + Contest Criteria
- The contest is open to all currently enrolled HCC students who are in good academic standing.
- Students who submitted entries in previous Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Art & Design Contest are eligible to submit a new art or design entry.
Submission Guidelines + Timeline
Each designer will design a visual representation (design or art) of what Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Belonging, and Social Justice mean to them.
- Each entry must be submitted/uploaded by April 16.
- Accepted submission formats are detailed below.
- Digital Art: Please upload as a JPEG, PNG, OR PDF.
- Illustration: Please upload as a JPEG, PNG, OR PDF.
- Graphic Design: Please upload as a JPEG, PNG, OR PDF.
- Sculpture: Please upload high-resolution photographs from different angles of the sculpture.
- Painting: Please upload high-resolution photographs from different angles of the painting.
- Please upload your digital file by using the online submission form.
- Please click here to submit your design.
- To submit, you must log in to Microsoft Forms using the same login you use for Eagle Online (Canvas).
- For password reset help, please call 713.718.8800 (Monday – Friday: 7:00 A.M. until 9:00 P.M. and Saturday: 9:00 A.M. until 3:00 P.M.).
- Please be sure to spellcheck all text in the entry.
Judging Criteria + Timeline
- Alignment and Relevance: Judges will consider whether the submission is relevant to the contest theme and effectively communicates how diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging, and/or social justice are meaningful to the artist.
- Creativity and Originality: Judges will consider how the artwork or design demonstrates originality in the representation of diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging, and/or social justice.
- Artistic Elements: Judges will consider how well the piece includes different artistic elements such as composition; use of color, texture, shapes, and contrast; and different artistic tools/techniques.
- April 16: Deadline or students to submit artwork or design.
- April 17 - 18: A diverse committee of HCC faculty and staff will select the top finalists.
- April 19: The top finalists will be notified.
- April 24: The finalists' submissions will be displayed and judged at the Student Success Summit by event attendees. The top three entries that receive the most votes from event attendees will be announced at the Student Success Summit.
The top three entries will receive a scholarship sponsored by the HCC Foundation.
- First Place: $1,000 Scholarship
- Second Place: $500 Scholarship
- Third Place: $250 Scholarship
The scholarship will:
- Be awarded for Summer or Fall 2023
- Cover tuition and fees for HCC courses
- Be non-refundable
Terms and Conditions
- Submissions must be original work. Every designer certifies that their submission does not infringe upon the intellectual property rights of any third party and that their submission does not violate any trademark or copyright laws.
- Every designer assumes the responsibility and legal repercussions for their submission's copyright or trademark infringement.
- The winning designer relinquishes all rights to their submission to Houston Community College, including but not limited to the right to modify and publish the design in PR/promotional materials, such as marketing publications, advertisements, promotional items, merchandise, and any College-related publication, without limitation for an indefinite period of time.
- The winning designer grants permission to Houston Community College for use of his/her personal name, and image and understands that his/her winning submission may appear in whole or in part, in any of the wide variety of formats and media now available to the College and all that may be available in the future, including but not limited to print, broadcast, videotape, CD-ROM and electronic/online media.
- The winning designer will not receive any royalties from the sale of items bearing the winning name and/or design.
- Submissions will not be returned to the designers. No responsibility can be accepted for lost, delayed, or damaged submissions.
- If a student submits duplicate design submissions with the design, the entry submitted first will be accepted. The date and time of contest submissions will be recorded.
- Winning entries may be asked to submit native/source file and linked files.