About the Program
The HCC Music Department provides opportunities for musicians of all ages and abilities.
AWARD TYPES: Associate in Arts
AREA OF STUDY: Liberal Arts, Humanities & Education
Degrees and Certificates
Learn more about the Degrees and Certificates offered by this program by visiting the HCC Catalog.View Degrees & Certificates by Program
To be eligible for an Associate in Arts (AA), an Associate of Arts in Teaching (AAT), or an Associate in Science (AS) degree from HCC, a student must successfully:
Complete at least 60 semester hours of credit as follows: (a) for the AA degree, 43 hours of required core courses and 17 hours of transferable electives, usually focusing on the student's transfer major (b) for the AAT degree, 44 hours of required core courses plus 16-18 hours of required pre-teaching courses (c) for the AS degree, 43 hours of required core courses plus six additional hours of mathematics, four additional hours of natural science, and 7 hours of transferable electives, usually focusing on the student's transfer major.
- Complete a minimum of 18 semester hours toward the degree in the Houston Community College System. These hours may not be satisfied through credit by exam.
- Have an overall 2.0 HCC grade point average.
- Satisfy TSI requirements.
- Resolve all financial obligations and return all College materials, including library books, to HCC prior to graduation.
Additional Degree Requirements
A student who has received an associate degree or higher from an accredited institution must meet specific requirements to earn an additional degree from HCC.
- The student must complete a minimum of 18 semester hours at HCC for each additional degree. These hours may not repeat credit applied from a previous HCC degree. These hours may not be satisfied through credit by exam.
- All additional hours must be applicable toward the additional degree. If the student has prior credit in required courses, appropriate substitutions may be arranged.
- All courses required by the specific HCC program of the additional degree must be completed.
- A grade point average of at least 2.0 must be earned on all hours since the previous degree.
- Academic courses from previous degrees may be applied to an additional AAS degree required academic core where equivalent and appropriate, which waives the need for approval, except where program restrictions prevail.
- If the first degree was an Associate in Arts, an Associate of Arts in Teaching, Associate in Science, a bachelor degree, or higher degree from an accredited educational institution in the United States, the student will be considered to be “Core Complete”, thus needing to complete only the requirement of 18 additional semester hours at HCC toward a new associate degree.
- Each additional academic associate degree obtained from HCC must be of a different type. Thus, a student may only obtain one Associate in Arts, one Associate of Arts in Teaching, and/or one Associate in Science from HCC. For example, if one degree from HCC was an AA, then any additional degrees must be an AAT, AS, or AAS.
- Multiple Associate of Applied Science degrees may be earned from HCC if all AAS program requirements are met including earning at least 18 additional semester hours at HCC, 12 of which must be earned in the major program of the additional degree. In most cases, however, there is only one AAS degree allowable per workforce program. See counselor or program chair for clarification.
- Multiple workforce Certificates of Completion may be earned from HCC if all program requirements are met for each certificate including earning at least 9 additional unique semester hours at HCC toward the major program of the additional certificate.
- All other state and institutional graduation requirements, including TSI policies and financial obligations, must be met.
There are 2,872 Instrumental Musicians employed in the Greater Houston Area. This number is expected to increase by 5.6% over the next four years.
- The estimated annual job openings is 128 jobs a year.
- Median Wages - $19.76 hourly, $41,000 annually
Field of Study Curriculum
Music Field of Study (FOS) Curriculum
Field of Study Coursework:
- MUEN 11## Ensemble
- MUAP 11## Improvisation
- MUAP 11## Applied Music Lesson
- MUAP 11## Music Studio
- MUAP 21## Applied Music Lesson
- MUAP 21## Applied Music Studio
- MUSI 1311 Music Theory I
- MUSI 1312 Music Theory II
- MUSI 2311 Music Theory III
- MUSI 2312 Music Theory IV
- MUSI 1116 Sight Singing & Ear Training I
- MUSI 1117 Sight Singing & Ear Training II
- MUSI 2116 Sight Singing & Ear Training III
- MUSI 2117 Sight Singing & Ear Training IV
- MUSI 1307 Music Literature
The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) has designated the Field of Study Curriculum courses as “fully transferable” to other public colleges and universities in Texas. Students planning on transferring to either private or out-of-state institutions should direct transfer questions to that college or university.
For more information, refer to the HCC Catalog (https://www.hccs.edu/programs/catalog/ ) and Field of Study Curricula Approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board www.thecb.state.tx.us/institutional-resources-programs/public-universities-health-related-institutions/transfer-resources/field-of-study-curricula/
Learn more about the marketable skills—skills valued by employers that can be applied in variety of work settings—so you can communicate these to potential employers. Click on the relevant award title below to see descriptions of marketable skills for that area.
Music - Field of Study, A.A.