Board of Trustee Statements
HCC Board of Trustees' Statement Concerning the Interim Chancellor Search
May 19, 2023
Dear Houston Community College Colleagues,
I am writing to let you know the HCC Board of Trustees is launching a confidential national search to identify an Interim Chancellor to lead HCC this next academic year while we undertake a more extensive, participatory search for a permanent Chancellor. We have selected ACCT Searches to support this effort, with Dr. Cindy Miles as our consultant.
At this week’s Board meeting, we finalized the process for the search (including timeline and position profile), and we are opening the position for applications beginning today. Application information is being distributed nationally and is available on ACCT’s website and our HCCS.edu website (HCC Interim Chancellor Search).
The Position Profile outlines the Board’s expectations and desired attributes for the Interim Chancellor:
During this transitional term of service, the Interim Chancellor will support the Board of Trustees in advancing their goals:
- Monitor approved performance targets and advance Board priorities of increasing enrollment, retention, and completion (accelerating the closure of achievement gaps), while promoting academic rigor and an inclusive environment for students, faculty, and staff.
- Promote an organizational culture centered on student success and achievement.
- Support a climate of mutual trust among Board members.
- Strive for excellence in planning, governance, communication and the support of diversity, equity and inclusion system-wide.
- Hold each other to the highest ethical standards, requiring honesty and personal responsibility.
The preferred candidate will demonstrate the following proven personal and professional attributes:
- Exhibits integrity, transparency, humility, evidence-based decision-making, and flexibility in all College matters.
- Sustains and builds on HCC’s positive momentum of success.
- Partners effectively with legislative, community, and business leaders about funding sources, programs, cooperative relationships, and other matters affecting the College.
- Works successfully and collegially with a diverse group of internal and external constituencies within established processes.
- Maintains open channels of communication with the Board and with internal and external College communities.
Please know the Board and I are committed to keeping you engaged and informed as we advance this two-stage hiring process. This summer we will finalize the process for the permanent chancellor search, which will include multiple opportunities for input from internal and external constituencies. We look forward to your participation.
Together we will ensure that Houston Community College continues to be the source of opportunity and hope for our dynamic community!
Cynthia Lenton-Gary, Ph.D.
Chair, HCC Board of Trustees